|Princess Lily and Elsie having afternoon tea at Duckingham Palace|
Served with butter and good jam and some clotted cream by one of the incompetent servants who failed to remember we have cinnamon scones on a Thursday. However excellent all the same. We of course pronounce it "Sk own", not "sk on" like some of the local Lancashire lower classes.
Scone recipe from purveyors of fine products to royalty below.
- 225g/8oz self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55g/2oz butter
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in sugar and then the milk till dough soft.
- Knead gently on a floured work surface. Pat to slab of approximately 2cm/¾in thick. Create rounds of 2in/5cm and place on lightly grease baking sheet.
- Brush tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until nice golden brown.